Understanding The Causes Of GynecomastiaDecember 21, 2017 195 views
If you thought only women have ‘hormonal troubles’, then there’s something you need to know. Men have hormonal issues too!
Ever thought of what makes a man have masculine characteristics? Deep husky voice, body and facial hair, muscles etc.
It’s the hormone called “Testosterone”.
There’s another side to this coin of masculinity. If you’re thinking you’re immune to a hormonal chaos, just because you’re no longer a teenager; this is might attack you: Lowered levels of testosterone.
There are many issues that crop up with low levels of testosterone in your body. But the most obvious, and visible embarrassment is, having ‘Man Boobs’. Man boobs is medically termed as gynecomastia. It is the growth of excess fat tissue in the male breast, which causes a feminine appearance in men. In fact, low levels of testosterone also cause a few other feminine characteristics in men such as: less or no body or facial hair growth, feminine voice, and physique as well.
The most common of all these problems is gynecomastia. So before mentioning the main causes of gynecomastia, it must be noted that the exact cause for breast tissue development is still a riddle to be solved by the medical system. So with the limited study that we have about causes of gynecomastia, here’s what we’ve listed for your benefit.
[You might be interested in this : Gynecomastia surgery procedure]
Causes of Gynecomastia
- Causes of gynecomastia can be many. However, whatever these causes are, they all come up to the conclusion of having increased levels of oestrogen in men.
- Gynecomastia is also seen as a result of heavy drug abuse.
- One of the causes of gynecomastia is radiation and chemotherapy for cancer treatments.
- Hormonal antiandrogen therapy is a treatment for prostate cancer. It is also increasingly noted to be one of the causes of gynecomastia.
- Ageing is another factor that is considered as the causes of gynecomastia. In some men the testosterone levels become dormant, or retards from the original levels. This can cause oestrogen to dominate leading to growth of the breast tissue.
- One of the recent findings about the causes of gynecomastia causes is termed as the ‘oestrogen diet’. A diet comprising of foods that speeds up the production of oestrogen levels can cause gynecomastia to a large extent.
A few more things that are causes of gynecomastia are:
- Antibiotic medications
- Anti-anxiety drugs
- Treatments for heartburn
- AIDS treatments
- Tricyclic antidepressants
Gynecomastia has seen a rise in the last few years. However, you might still feel shy and uncomfortable talking about it. Speak to your doctor and discuss all possible gynecomastia treatment options and your concerns shall be well cared for.
[You might be interested in this : Recovering After Gynecomastia Surgery]
ABOUT COSMOSURE CLINIC
‘CosmoSure’ is a renowned a cosmetic surgery clinic in Hyderabad, which is considered to be the meeting point for science & art. Established in the year 2015, CosmoSure, cosmetic surgery clinic has been one of the most preferred cosmetic clinics in Hyderabad. All the procedures at Cosmosure clinic are a blend of a skilled & artistic touch. Our specialists are trained with in-depth knowledge of aesthetic science and symmetry to help individuals to improve their skin health.