How To Cure Urticaria During PregnancyDecember 23, 2020
During pregnancy, a woman’s body goes through several physical changes. These changes sometimes include skin changes. Apart from minor skin problems such as dry skin, acne, etc., some women may experience severe skin problems such as urticaria, which are usually caused by hormonal changes, stress, or even infection. Therefore, it is always a good idea to know about such ailments to prevent them or treat them immediately. In this article, Cosmosure Clinic has tried to provide as much information as possible about hives during pregnancy that can help prevent or treat the condition. Read on to find out more.
What is pregnancy urticaria?
Hives can occur at any stage of pregnancy. Even if you have never had a skin condition like this in your life, you can have it during pregnancy, such as acne during pregnancy. Hives appear pale red, develop bumps on the skin and are an allergic reaction to food, insect bites, drugs, chemicals, and others. When hormones increase and changes occur in your body, you can become susceptible to pathogens. Pregnant women usually experience itching after the skin becomes very dry and expands as the fetus grows. However, there are also other reasons for developing hives during pregnancy. Therefore, if you see pale red bumps on your body, you should consult a doctor.
Is Urticaria Dangerous During Pregnancy?
Fortunately, not all cases of hives are a severe threat to the mother-to-be or her unborn baby. However, in some cases, serious complications can arise. Therefore, as soon as you notice the symptoms, especially on the genitals (including rash), you should see a doctor rule out complications. Pregnant women can also develop hives as an allergic reaction, which can also lead to severe complications such as anaphylaxis. Other symptoms of hives can include sore throat, difficulty swallowing, wheezing, extreme shortness of breath, dizziness, and many more.
Now you know what urticaria is and whether it can be harmful during pregnancy, let’s look at how to cure urticaria during pregnancy.
Treatment of urticaria during pregnancy
There are many over-the-counter drugs available to treat urticaria. However, you are advised to avoid self-medication during pregnancy. However, you can try some home remedies to reduce discomfort and soothe the skin safely. In both cases, you must get your doctor’s approval. Here are some options for treating urticaria or hives during pregnancy:
- One of the safe remedies for hives is to moisturize your skin. You can use a great moisturizing lotion to help soothe dry, itchy skin.
- The smaller rash may go away on its own. However, it is important not to wipe or rub the affected area. Soap can make the condition worse, so reducing the amount of soap used may be beneficial.
- Desiccants such as raw soap can worsen symptoms of hives. Therefore, do not use chemical soap. You can use moisturizing soaps which will keep your skin soft and moisturized.
- Your doctor may prescribe an oral ointment and medication to help relieve urticaria symptoms.
- One technique that can relieve itching is to make oatmeal or use baking soda in your shower. Keeping skin moisturized can also help with itching and dryness.
- Several antihistamines are considered safe to use during pregnancy. It is essential to review the warning labels for each medication and consult your doctor before taking any medication.
- For more severe skin conditions such as PUPP, your doctor may prescribe oral medications or various anti-itch creams.
We know you’ll agree when we say prevention is better than cure. Why wait for such conditions when you can even prevent them? Read on to find out how you can prevent hives.
How To Prevent Hives During Pregnancy?
One can prevent hives during pregnancy. If you experience symptoms, you should see a doctor immediately to prevent the urticaria from growing or spreading to other parts of the body. Follow treatment according to your doctor’s instructions.
For some, prevention is best like you could be more prone to itching in general. If so, you likely know which foods or pathogens to avoid from previous experience.
Since you may be more vulnerable, and pregnancy usually causes dry and itchy skin, it’s essential to know what steps you can take to prevent hives during pregnancy. At the very least, you’ll want to know how to minimize hives during pregnancy. Here are some tips to help reduce or prevent urticaria during pregnancy:
- Avoid hot showers.
- Avoid tight clothing
- Try not to scratch your skin
- Keep pressure off your skin
- Avoid stress and practice relaxation techniques
- Eat healthy food that nourishes the skin
- Keep house clean
The above may not prevent all hives cases, but it usually makes urticaria cases less severe and goes away faster.
While you can’t rule out getting hives during pregnancy, proper care and precautions can help you deal with them. Make sure you are not under stress because itching during pregnancy is normal. Antihistamines are considered safe to use during pregnancy and are prescribed by doctors. Take medications on time.
Talk to a Cosmosure Clinic doctor if you need more clarity about this skin problem and need to be able to treat or keep it away during your pregnancy. Call us at 8331040404 and book your appointment.