When Should Surgery Be Done, and who are the right candidates for a Scar Removal Surgery?
1 . All those people who are healthy, non-smokers and are troubled by a visible scar especially on their face, are right candidates for a scar removal surgery.
2. There should be no skin diseases or acne in the region that needs to be operated, before getting a scar removal surgery.
Scar Removal Surgery – The Procedure
- Before the operation, anaesthetic is administered into the patient’s body.
- Topical Treatments are used for the treatment of existing surface scars and discoloration, while Injectable Treatments are used to fill depressed or concave scars. Surface Treatments are used to soften surface irregularities and reduce uneven pigmentation.
- Surface Treatments include Dermabrasion, Laser or Light Therapy (causes changes to the surface of the skin that allow new, healthy skin to form at the scar site), Chemical peel solutions (penetrate the skin’s surface to soften irregularities in texture and colour.) and Skin bleaching agents.
- Sometimes, closure of incisions is required to remove scars. Pharmaceutical tissue substitutes are used if ample healthy tissue is not present for closure. Tissue expansion is also a substitute for skin grafts.