49 Tips To Manage Oily SkinSeptember 25, 2018 265 views
Runny makeup. Acne & Pimple. Dandruff. Fashion-kill. Irritable. Photo blunder.
You are aware of the troubles. So, let’s just get to it.
Tips To Manage Oily Skin
- Wash your skin regularly. In other words, bathe. All skin experts agree that the best way to manage oily skin is to keep the oil away.
- Avoid irritants. Harmful chemicals of soap and creams, alcoholic toner, sunlight, pollution, harsh handling of skin – all come under the category of skin irritants.
- Use sunscreen or cover up your skin with additional clothing when outside.
- Keep your skin hydrated. Drink more water which will help you get rid of toxins.
- Use a toner. But see to it that it does not have any alcohol or acetone.
- Moisturise your skin. This may sound like an irony. But if you do not moisturise your skin, it will not get the required nutrients. Your body will try to over-compensate and produce even more oil.
- However, use only a light and oil-free moisturiser.
- Wash your towel daily. Oil that you wiped yesterday can return to your face today (along with dirt and microgerms) if you use the same towel you used yesterday without washing.
Take Extra Care Of Your Face
- Use a mild facewash to wash your face twice daily.
- Wash your face after you have been out in the pollution and after exercising.
- Avoid washing your face more than twice a day. This will make your skin dry.
- Use blotting paper to dab the oil out. Do not wipe your face, instead hold the blotting paper for a while and let it soak out the oil.
- Avoid touching your face too often. Oil from your hand can get transferred to your face.
- Never forget to remove your makeup at the end of the day.
- Makeups are either oil-based or water-based. Avoid oily makeup; use the water-based ones instead.
- Before going to bed, wash your face mildly and use a light night cream.
Manage The Oil In Your Scalp
- Wash your hair properly. After shampooing, rinse your hair properly. Any shampoo residue will look like oil in your scalp.
- Wash your hair with cool water. Warm water stimulates more oil production in your scalp.
- Just like warm water, the heat of air drier is also to be avoided.
- Stay away from direct sunlight. Otherwise, it will make your scalp oily and your hair dry.
- Don’t let your hair go all dry. If your scalp goes dry, it will lose all its nutrition and the body will produce even more oil. Use a moisturising conditioner.
- Do not touch your hair too often. Avoid letting your hair touch other oily parts of your skin.
- Brush your hair regularly. It will help air flow into your scalp, stimulate your blood circulation and keep the dirt away.
- On that note, do not forget to wash your hairbrush. Keep your hair straightener, curler and other things clean.
- Dry shampoo and hair powder can come handy for quick fixes. But watch out if they are drying up your hair while removing oil from your scalp.
- Reduce the frequency of oiling your hair. However, do not do away with this. Your scalp and hair still require nutrition.
How To Control Acne When You Have Oily Skin
- Makeup, powder, dirt and even residual sweat can block the pore of your skin. This can boost the break out of acne. So, stay clean.
- Wash yourself with cool water, especially the oily parts. Cold makes the nerves active and increases blood flow. This prevents acne from popping out.
- Exfoliation is a non-negotiable hygiene practice for those who have oily skin and experience acne. Use fresh scrub, loofah or other exfoliating tools.
- DO NOT squeeze or pop your acne. Let it mature on its own and then it will fall off gradually.
- You can also use some OTC pills or creams that help in controlling acne. Many of these products contain something called Benzoyl peroxide. It prevents the growth of bacteria and has a drying effect. Salicylic acid is also a major ingredient.
- Do not switch acne-prevention products frequently. These products take some time to work. Changing them frequently could have adverse effects on your skin.
Tweak Your Diet To Manage Oily Skin
- Dairy products boost the actions of your hormones. This, in turn, makes your skin even more oily. If you have oily skin, limit the intake of milk, cheese, curd, butter etc.
- Excessive salt and sugar consumption also adds to the production of oil in your body.
- Alcohol causes dehydration. Dehydrated skin produces compensatory oil to meet up the deficiency of water. Avoid consumption of alcohol.
- Eat foods which are rich in antioxidants and vitamin E. Eat more nuts. Cucumber, banana, avocado, whole grains, green leafy vegetables can be helpful for oily skin.
- Talking of antioxidants – green tea is rich in that. You can include two cups of green tea a day in your oily-skin management regimen.
- Seafood, rich in Omega 3 Fatty Acid, like tuna, salmon, is good for oily skin.
- Avoid spicy food. Spicy fat triggers your sweat glands. The more the sweat is, the more is the oil on skin.
- Dark Chocolate is reputed for its anti-inflammatory properties. It will help in keeping the acne under control.
Collaborating With Nature To Manage Oily Skin
- Aloe Vera does wonder to oily skin. You can apply it directly on your skin or mix it with your shampoo or make ice cure of it and apply that on your face.
- You can scrub your face with a homemade facepack of oatmeal. Almond, tomatoes, lemon, egg whites also make good candidates for your facial scrub that fights against oily skin.
- A mask of cosmetic clay will reduce the oil in your skin. However, overdoing it will make your skin dry. So, better use this mask once a week or less.
- Tea tree oil helps you deal with the excess bacteria that may develop on your skin due to excessive oil. Just use a few drops of it in your bathing water and keep acne at bay.
- If you can’t get access to tea tree oil, you can try something more local – honey, reetha and heena. These components are anti-bacterial. Reetha nourishes. Henna has a drying effect.
- The impact of yoga and mild exercise is positively huge. These practices cleanse toxins off your body, de-stresses your mind, improves blood circulation and, of course, helps in managing oily skin.
In-clinic Solutions Of Cosmosure
- So, you now know a lot of things about how to manage oily skin. Having trouble in narrowing it down? Who better can help you but an expert. You can visit our skin care experts at CosmoSure and find a customised solution that will work for your unique skin type.
- You can also opt for a laser treatment. This cosmetic procedure will shrink the pores in your skin and, thus, reduce the oil production.
- Chemical peeling is another cosmetic procedure that has successfully helped many people with oily skin. This the top oil-producing layer of the skin in chemically peeled off.
Don’t worry; it’s completely safe.
Well, there you have it – 49 amazing tips on how to manage oily skin. Practise those and get beautiful, glowing skin!
ABOUT THE CLINIC:
‘CosmoSure’ is a renowned medical and surgical cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Hyderabad, which is considered to be the meeting point for science & art. Established in the year 2015, CosmoSure, cosmetic surgery clinic has been one of the most preferred cosmetic clinics in Hyderabad. All the procedures at Cosmosure clinic are a blend of a skilled & artistic touch. Our specialists are trained with in-depth knowledge of aesthetic science and symmetry to help individuals to improve their skin health.