How to Take Care of Acne Scars on Face?December 5, 2018
Physical appearance matters a lot in these days and people judge a person by their looks and physical appearances. A physically attractive person can attract a lot of people, as physical appearance is the first thing that we notice when we meet a person for the first time. So, who doesn’t love to have a physically attractive and beautiful face?
But, are the acne scars on your face affecting your beauty?
Acne scars can be wiped off from your face.
What Are Acne Scars?
Acne is actually a skin disease caused when the hair follicles are clogged with the dead skin cells and oil from the skin. Acne causes whiteheads, blackheads, and pimples on the face, which can be very embarrassing.
You Can Take Care Of Them At Home!
Following the below simple home remedies can help you get rid of acne scars on your face.
- Aloe Vera gel: Aloe Vera contains vitamin A, C and E, that can help heal your skin and fade out your acne scars.
- Baking soda: Baking soda has sodium bicarbonate crystals which can be used as a cleansing scrub.
- Lemon: Lemon is a natural acid and it can heal scars on face and revitalize the skin.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is the natural moisturiser with the healing properties.
- Cucumber: Cucumbers are mostly used in facial treatments as it contains Vitamin C and A.
- Honey: Honey also works well to heal the acne scars.
- Potato juice: Potato is rich in vitamin and minerals which is good for skin health and healing scars.
- Cocoa butter: Cocoa butter is also a natural moisturiser and it helps in softening the scar tissues.
- Turmeric: Turmeric has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which can speed up the healing of scarred tissues and also improves your skin health.
- Garlic: Garlic has antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties when broken and it helps in reducing the acne scars and prevents the skin from further breakouts.
You may still notice acne scars on your face even after following home remedies if the acne scars are deeper. Visit a dermatologist to treat your acne scars.
Are There Any Tests To Evaluate Acne Scars?
There are no particular diagnosis tests for acne. If you have mild scars, the dermatologist would simply go through your medical history used for diagnosing your acne scars and may perform a simple medical examination.
But, if your acne scars are severe, the doctor may perform medical tests to identify if the acne is due to some underlying conditions. The doctor will determine the severity and the type of acne scars that appear on your skin and suggest the best treatment option for you.
Can I Take Any Medicines?
Yes. But only after consulting a dermatologist. Your doctor might suggest you some medications, based on the severity of the acne scars. Following are the common medications prescribed by a dermatologist:
- Retinoids: Retinoids help your skin to speed up the cell regeneration process and improves your skin’s smoothness. They also reduce discolouration and makes your scars less visible.
- Alpha hydroxy acids(AHA): Products that are used to treat acne scars contains Alpha hydroxy acids or AHAs. They help remove dead skin and also prevents clogged pores.
- Lactic acid: If lactic acid is used on regular basis, it can improve skin’s appearance, texture and it also lightens the acne scars.
- Salicylic acid: When you apply salicylic acid on your face, it penetrates deep into follicles and removes the bacteria trapped over there and cleans your skin.
- Antibiotics: Your dermatologist may also prescribe antibiotics that kill bacteria and reduce inflammation.
What If The Medications Could Not Help Me?
If your acne scars are severe and the medications could not help you, your dermatologist may use the following procedures to treat acne scars:
- Chemical peels:
Chemical peels are an effective way to treat acne scars, Chemical peels are actually acids, that are applied to the infected areas of the skin. When this acid penetrates into your skin, it destroys the dead skin and clogged pores and helps in the generation of new skin.
Dermabrasion is an old procedure used for treating acne scars. In this procedure, the dermatologist uses a tool to remove the skin layers, based on the depth of the affected areas. Dermabrasion helps reduce deeper scars and rejuvenates the skin.
Microdermabrasion is a non-surgical procedure. It involves spraying small crystals such as aluminium oxide, magnesium oxide, sodium chloride, and sodium bicarbonate on the infected areas of the skin. It exfoliates the dead layer of the skin and improves the appearance of the skin.
- Resurfacing lasers:
If you have severe acne scars, then resurfacing lasers can be the right choice for you. It is a surgical procedure, which uses high powered laser beams on the surface of the skin. It actually burns the skin and helps in the generation of new skin.
- Skin needling:
Skin needling is a non-surgical procedure, in which the dermatologist uses a micro-needling device. The dermatologist inserts fine needles and created micro injuries on the skin. This micro injuries generate new collagen in the dermis and thereby rejuvenates the skin and reduces scars.
- Intense pulsed light:
Intense pulsed light is also a non-surgical procedure that is effective at treating pigmented cells and acne scars. In this procedure, a specific wavelength of light is emitted on the infected areas of the skin. This improves the production of collagen in the infected areas and reduces the acne scars.
- Dermal fillers:
Dermal fillers such as collagen, fat or hyaluronic acid, is inserted into the hallow areas of the skin. This filler is absorbed by the skin and reduces the depressions.
Though you got an idea about the treatment options, you should consider visiting a dermatologist to treat your acne scars. He can assist you to find the best acne treatment that can heal your acne scars.
About The Clinic:
‘CosmoSure’ is a renowned medical and surgical Cosmetic Surgery Clinic in Hyderabad, which is considered to be the meeting point for science & art. Established in the year 2015, CosmoSure, cosmetic surgery clinic has been one of the most preferred cosmetic clinics in Hyderabad. All the procedures at Cosmosure clinic are a blend of a skilled & artistic touch. Our Specialists are trained with in-depth knowledge of aesthetic science and symmetry to help individuals to improve their skin health.